Great. You've found a lot and know what you want in the way of a new custom home. It should be about time to pour that slab, right?
Whoa. Slow down. We have a long way to go before we start thinking about a foundation.
Let's take a moment to talk about your relationship with your designer/architect.
You know, there are lots of ways to get the architectural plans you need to build a house.
- DIY. Lots of software out there will let you draft up just about anything, but be careful here.
- Find some stock plans. Buy them cheap on the internet. Be careful here, too.
- Hire an architect. Registered by the Texas Board of Architectural Examiners.
- Hire a CPBD. Certified Professional Building Designer.
- Hire a design/build firm. Many design/build firms are driven by architects or designers.
- Hire a consult/design/build firm. Consult/design/build is the approach Solluna follows. It's team oriented to include the client, designer, and builder early in the process.
Fortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all. Each method has pros and cons and is worthy of a deeper discussion in blogs to follow.
Suppose you want to hire a professional Let's come up with a list of questions you should ask.
- What's the best project you've designed?
- What was your worst nightmare project?
- What are you designing now?
- How do you manage the engineering and permitting process?
- What tools do you use to manage client communication and selections?
- Who's in charge of the budget?
- When do you engage the builder in the design process?
- How are you involved during construction?
- What would builders say about your processes?
- What do you charge?
- What is and isn't included in your fees?
- How do you handle overages for additional work or change orders?
- Do you have references I can speak with?
- May I visit one of your projects?
Make sure you ask enough questions to understand the design process.
- Length of process
- How you plug into the process
- Who are the team players
In future posts, we'll talk in more detail about different ways to produce architectural plans for your custom home.